BREAKFAST FOR LEARNING’s Guiding Principles for Student Nutrition Programs
BREAKFAST FOR LEARNING (BFL) is a national charity that educates and empowers communities to deliver school based student nutrition programs, helping children and youth realize their full potential in life.
The vision of BFL is to ensure all kids in Canada attend school well nourished, improving their ability to learn, giving them the best chance of success in life.
In order to achieve its mission and vision, BFL is committed to working with schools and community partners to support student nutrition programs that work within a set of guiding principles:
- Nutritious and safe food regardless of family income. Menus should be allergy aware, predominantly fruit/vegetable based, limit or exclude processed foods as much as possible and may include traditional/local foods;
- Non-stigmatizing and universally accessible programs;
- Locally developed programs reflecting the individuality of the community;
- Cultural appropriateness, sensitive to and respectful of individual and community diversity;
- Parental and family involvement is encouraged, recognizing that child nutrition is a shared responsibility;
- A nurturing environment in which children and volunteers can interact;
- An educational component to learning about nutrition that helps build life skills and healthy eating habits for lifelong healthy development; and
- Self-sustaining programs with student, community and family support to maximize program stability.
Breakfast for Learning adheres to the community development model; BFL does not own or deliver the programs. With support from BFL, local experts, staff and volunteers develop and deliver the program that best meets the needs of their students.