Student Nutrition Programs
A student nutrition program is an excellent way to help ensure children and youth in your community attend school well-nourished and ready to learn.
Student nutrition programs help to:
- Provide students with healthy meals and snacks that provide the energy they need to stay alert and engaged throughout the school day;
- foster a happy and healthy school environment;
- decrease student absenteeism, in-class disruptions and conflict between students;
- increase students self-esteem, problem-solving skills and creative abilities;
- develop life-long healthy eating habits; and
- provide children and youth with the best chance at success possible!
Start Up Kit
To help volunteers and Program Coordinators start a successful student nutrition program, Breakfast for Learning offers our Nutrition Program Start-Up Kit.
This helpful resource includes tips, information and descriptions to:
- Determine the Need
- Involve the Community and Recruit Volunteers
- Set your Objectives
- Develop an Action Plan
- Evaluate your Program
- Raise Funds
- Menu Planning
- …and much more!
Nutrition Program Management Resources:
We have also developed a number of nutrition program forms to assist you with managing your nutrition program. Feel free to download the following resources for your use:
Nutrition Education Resources:
- Sample Menu Plans from Breakfast for Learning – view more recipe ideas in our Nutrition Corner:
- Improve your family’s health and save time and money by pre-planning meals and menus with the Dairy Farmers of Canada and Breakfast for Learning’s Menu Planner.